Are you wondering what to make for dinner? Time to try something new! This chicken recipe marinates in a Greek flavored marinade that will have you asking for more. The combination of chicken and greek yogurt is a match made in culinary fantasy land. Greek yogurt has twice as much protein, which promotes fullness. It is also an excellent source of calcium which can help to improve bone health.
Chicken is high in protein, which helps to build and repair body tissues. Acidic vinegar or citrus-based marinades can toughen proteins like chicken breast to a rubbery consistency. Yogurt slowly tenderizes them, resulting in a slice of more tender meat. So whether you have a new fitness goal or just seeking a tenderizer, adding Greek yogurt to your meals can be helpful.
What is Grilled Greek Chicken?
This chicken marinates in Greek yogurt, lemon, balsamic vinegar, and extra virgin olive oil. Marinating the chicken gives a juicy, flavorful bite. The greek-inspired recipe will be the hot topic at your next Greek theme dinner party. Boost up your cooking and add a twist to your meals.
The amazing Grilled Greek Chicken became famous by Greek traditions around 2700 B.C. When the mysterious Minoans arrived in America, they bought their domesticated grains, goats, and sheep for food. They used different pulses, bushes, and acids to tenderize their meats. The American cuisine has integrated most of the greeks cooking techniques to add flavor and tenderize various foods such as wild grapes, lemon, herbs, and oregano to give our food flavor.
Facts about Grilled Greek Chicken
- Marinating chicken in acid-like yogurt has been done in many types of ethnic cooking for centuries. Greece is the foundation for European culinary culture.
- Skewer chicken serves best with pita bread, lemon, fried potatoes, and sauces in souvlakia, Greece.
- Greek yogurt supports a healthy bacterial balance in the gut. It also helps to lower the risk of type 2 diabetes.
When should you eat this Greek chicken?
This recipe is a popular choice for main course meals. These Greek chicken skewers are options for casual get together on the holiday or weekend. They can also be served as appetizers or at a small plated dinner party. For an attractive presentation, mix it up with onions and bell peppers on a skewer.
Grill Greek Chicken best served with:
Do you have a favorite side dish? Here are a few that you can add to your catalog of favorites.
- Greek chicken with salad
- Baked potatoes
The possibilities are endless!
How the ingredients work
Greek yogurt: Yogurt added to the marinade helps to tenderize the chicken and gives it a very juicy taste.
Lemon juice and zest: The acid in the lemon enhances the flavor of the chicken. Lemon juice breaks down the tough connective tissue of the chicken as it marinates. Adding the zest of the lemon to the marinade boosts the flavor.
Olive oil: This oil adds fat to the chicken breast and helps create a barrier while the chicken is cooking. It also prevents the chicken from sticking to the grill while cooking.
How is it done?
The marinade is the most vital part of this recipe.
Mix the marinade in a zip lock bag, then place the pieces of chicken in the bag. Allow the chicken to soak for 4 – 24 hours. This chicken does take a long time to marinate because of the small pieces.
Before grilling the chicken breast, remove the excess liquid and place onion and pepper cubes alternatively. Put the chicken on a preheated grill and cook until clear juices run from the chicken.
Why should you prepare this Grilled Greek Chicken?
The juicy and tender Greek chicken is a delicious bite. I guarantee that you won’t forget it after trying it. The recipe is healthy as it uses the grilling method. Food cooked by this method preserves nutrients and moisture, producing a juice-filled chicken. Yogurt adds flavor and nutritional value to the protein used. The addition of the onion and pepper makes it even healthier and more attractive. It adds vitamins and minerals to the meal. Remember, we eat with our eyes!
Terms in the recipe
- Marinate: The process of soaking chicken or meats in seasoned liquid to develop flavor and tenderness.
- Marinade: refers to the season liquid use to marinate chicken and other meats.
Question and Answer
- What does adding yogurt do to the chicken?
When tenderizing your meat or chicken, it is best to add yogurt to the mixture. Marinating meat or chicken in yogurt helps to breakdown the connective tissues of the protein.
- How long should the chicken marinate before grilling?
The chicken breast can be marinated for as little as 20 minutes, 4 hours, or 24 hours. The marination time depends on the size and part of the chicken you are marinating.
Your dinner doesn’t have to be a cycle! Try the fantastic Grilled Greek Chicken marinated to perfection. Many health watchers consider greek yogurt to be one of their superfoods. Eating yogurt does so much for our bodies. It contains so many essential nutrients that can help to improve bone strength and overall health. Greek yogurt is rich in antioxidants. Adding yogurt to your routine diet improves your immunity. Research suggests that culturing of yogurt boosts the production of white cells in the blood crucial for immunity and helps prevent vaginal candidiasis.
- To make the marinade
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves or 1 tsp dried
- 6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- To make the skewer
- 3 – 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large red bell pepper, in 1 ½ inch cubes
- 6- 8 bamboo skewers
- In a ziplock bag, combine all the marinade
- Put the chicken in the bag and massage until completely
coated. Marinate chicken for 4 – 24 hours.
- Preheat grill to 400F.
- Pour the chicken into a strainer to drain the excess liquid. Place the diced chicken onto the skewers alternately with onion and pepper cubes. Grill the chicken for about 4mins until it is cooked through on each side.