Forget takeout and cook this amazingly, super-fast Honey Cashew Chicken filled with aromatic flavoring and seasonings. This Asian – American inspired recipe comes together in just 20 minutes and loaded with ingredients you love, like tender chunks of chicken, tender broccoli florets, honey, onion, crisp bell peppers, and plenty of roasted cashews, of course! The chicken toss in a flavorful and sweet sauce mixture with a splash of sriracha added for depth. We first eat with our eyes! The honey cashew chicken recipe has a rainbow of colors, textures, and shapes that is proud to make! Our Honey Cashew Chicken is practically a flavor stopper! If you have never tried Honey Cashew Chicken, now is a great time!
What is Honey Cashew Chicken?
Honey cashew chicken is a Chinese – American dish loaded with chicken, veggies, and cashew nuts tossed in a savory honey sauce.
- This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, and sugar-free!
- The process of tossing meat or chicken in cornstarch or adding it to a marinade for easy preparation, an old Chinese cooking method called velveting.
- Cashew chicken is one of the most popular recipes in Rasa Malaysia. The traditional version of cashew chicken is stir-fried in a wok, where tender chunks of chicken are combined with crispy roasted cashews, vegetables and tossed in a light sauce.
- The recipe is an Asian stir fry dish with cashew nuts, honey, and chicken.
We have to give credit to the restaurateur in Springfield, Missouri, who made the first Honey cashew chicken recipe. In 1963, the esteemed Chef David Leong invented the recipe using fried chicken chunks sautéed in a sauce made with soy sauce and oyster sauce.
The Thai restaurants often served a dish similar to cashew chicken containing sliced chicken, onions, and cashews in a light brown sauce that is not as sweet as the Chinese- American versions.
When should you eat Honey Cashew chicken?
This recipe is an excellent choice for a quick weeknight dinner or Monday meal. It is a hearty meal that is perfect for the whole family. The recipe uses honey and not sugar, which increases the health benefits of the Honey Cashew Chicken.
What pairs with Honey Cashew chicken?
A cup of steamed Jasmine rice is perfect for soaking up the sweet, flavorful sauce in this stir fry recipe. The toasted cashew provides the additional balance and crunch, and the broccoli florets complete the dish.
How the ingredients work
- Cornstarch forms a protective barrier that helps prevent the chicken from being overcooked.
- Cashew adds texture and crunch to the dish.
- Low sodium soy sauce – used to add flavor and color to the chicken and vegetables.
- Sesame oil is used as a flavor enhancer in cuisine, having a distinctive nutty aroma and taste.
- Rice vinegar is a type of vinegar made from fermented rice. It contributes a mild, slightly sweet flavor to the dish.
- Honey adds a mild, sweet taste and distinctive flavor to food.
- Sriracha sauce is a type of chili sauce or hot sauce that adds spice to the dish.
How is it done?
Begin by placing the cashew on a baking sheet in a single layer, toast in the oven for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the marinade by combining the cornstarch, soy sauce, black pepper, sesame oil, and rice vinegar, toss in the pieces of chicken until coated. Cover the bowl and put it in the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes or up to 4 hours. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables, set them aside.
Prepare the sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
Next, in a large nonstick skillet, stir fry the marinated chicken over medium-high heat; stir to prevent sticking for about 10 minutes or lightly brown but cooked. Transfer to a plate.
Thirdly, sauté the vegetables for 3-4 minutes or until they are crisp and tender over medium heat.
Finally, combine the chicken and vegetables in the skillet and add the honey sauce mixture. Cook for an additional 3 – 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in cashews, green onion, sesame seeds, and serve over Jasmine rice.
Why should you eat this sweet and Savory Chicken?
The greatest thing about this recipe is how accessible it is to home cooks and busy moms. You don’t have to go to Asian stores or China Town for specialty ingredients. You can get all the ingredients at your regular grocery store and still make a mouthwatering and authentic Asian dish in the comfort of your home. The Cashew chicken is a versatile one-pot meal that can adapt to anyone’s taste. If you aren’t fond of broccoli, leave it out and add carrots or snow peas. It tastes so much better than the greasy and unhealthy takeouts!
- Sautee – Sautéing is a cooking method that used a relatively small amount of fat or oil in a shallow pan or skillet over high heat.
- Marinate – This is the process of soaking foods in seasoned liquid before cooking to enhance flavor.
- Stir – fry – This is a Chinese cooking technique in which ingredients are fried in a small quantity of hot oil while being stirred or tossed in a wok.
Question and answer
- Can honey cashew chicken serve alone?
Yes! The honey cashew chicken recipe is a one-pot dish because of the presence of vegetables and cashews.
- Are cashews good for you?
Cashew is one of the most nutritious food to have in your diet. It is low in sugar and rich in fiber, heart-healthy, and a plant protein. They are also a good source of magnesium, copper, and manganese, which promote energy, bone health, brain health, and immunity.
Oh, before I forget, there is a bonus! It cost 1/3 less than the price of Chinese takeout. You can save extra cash to buy that handbag that you always wanted! This recipe is present in most restaurants in the US and Asian countries. You will be happy you tried this recipe!