Prepare your homemade Blooming Onions in the comfort of your home. Air fryer blooming onion is about to become the new weekend crave! If you have children or a kid at heart, you are likely familiar with blooming onion. This tasty treat uses an original blooming onion sauce that will be hard for you to resist. It is always a crowd-pleaser. The beauty of an air fryer is that you can have the signature fried food without any fat! The healthy way to prepare tasty appetizers!
What is the Air fryer Bloom Onion?
This amazing Air Fryer Blooming Onion recipe is a popular fanned out onion dish that cuts to resemble a flower, battered, and deep-fried. The onion cooks in a power air Fryer. It serves as an appetizer at some restaurants worldwide.
Facts about Air Fryer Blooming onion
- Vidalia onion makes an excellent blooming onion recipe. It has a sweet and mild taste.
- Blooming onion is also called onion bloom, onion blossom, onion flower, and onion mum.
- Air fryer reduces the caloric level of food by 70 – 80%. Making it a healthy and safe appetizer for weight watchers.
Origin of the Bloom Onion
Air fryer Blooming Onion idea came about by Outback Steakhouse around 1988 after Tim Gannon got inspired by a New Orleans dish. The first onion bloom was at the Flagship restaurant in Tampa, Florida. Bloom onion appetizer is one of the most popular dishes at the Outback. It is also popular in the United States. Its usually served with a restaurant signature dipping sauce.
When should you eat the Air Fry Blooming Onion?
This crisp air-fried blooming onion serves best as hors d’oeuvres or as a side dish at a dinner or lunch setting. It can be the edible centerpiece on your table. Watch as your guest stares in awe of your creation.
What pairs with Air Fryer Blooming Onion?
This crisp hand-carved appetizer serves best with ranch sauce, onion sauce, or zesty sauce. The outback streak house has fries, melted cheese, spicy bloom sauce, chopped bacon, and a spicy-hot ranch dressing piled high on top of theirs. You can add variety to your booming onion and include your favorite sauce or toppings.
How the ingredients work
- Egg – The quick coagulation of eggs makes them ideal for coating. Eggs help the onion form a nice crisp texture on the outside and give an attractive golden brown color.
- Air fryer – This is an amped-up countertop convection oven that uses hot air and or little or no oil to fry foods.
- Horseradish gives that sauce the zesty flavor that compliments the bursting flavors of the Air Fry Blooming Onion.
How is it done?
Remove the stem of the onion with a sharp knife. Place the onion on a clean cutting board, cut side down. Cut down into the onion about 1-inch in diameter creating four evenly spaced cuts without cutting through the onion. Start at the root end. Continue by cutting three additional cuts (16 in total). Turn over the onion and carefully fluff out the petals. To prepare the dry coating mixture, combined the flour, paprika, garlic powder, pepper, and salt in a bowl.
To create the dipping batter.
Whisk the eggs and milk in a bowl. Next, we coated the onion in the flour mixture by dredging the onion using a spoon to apply it.
Cooking the Blooming Onion
Completely Immerse onion in dipping batter. Use a cooking brush to add the final finishes. Coat onion in flour mixture again. Wrap the onion in foil and place in the freezer for 45 minutes. Prepare the fryer basket by spraying it with cooking oil. Unwrap the onion and spray it with cooking oil. Remove excess wet batter from the onion and cook for 10 minutes at 400 degrees F. Open the air fryer basket after 10 minutes. Spray white areas with cooking oil; fry the onion until golden brown.
Blooming Onion dipping Sauce
Prepare dipping sauce by combining dry ingredients in a bowl and stir well.
Why should you make this crispy masterpiece?
This Air Fryer Blooming onion is one of the most popular appetizers in America. It is inexpensive and easy to prepare. Air frying is healthy in comparison to deep-frying. These methods guarantee you freshness, tasty, and a healthy appetizer all in one stop. The blooming onion is an impressive-looking craved appetizer and one that is great to share. Try yours TODAY!
Question and Answer
- Is it ok to put the wet batter in the air fryer?
Do not put the wet batter in the air fryer.
- Can I use white or yellow onions in the blooming onion recipe? Yellow and white onion has a strong flavor that can overpower the desired taste of the appetizer. It is best to use Vidalia onion, which has a milder flavor.
Unleash the burst of flavors that this appetizer recipe has to offer. This Air Fry Blooming Onion appetizer is rated one of the best and healthiest recipes in America.
- 1 large Vidalia onion
- 1 -1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 whole eggs, beaten
- ½ cup milk
- Cooking oil
- Dipping Sauce
- 2 tsp ketchup
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp horseradish
- ¼ tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Start by cutting off the stem of the onion leaving the root end intact. Remove peelings and place the onion cut side down on a cutting board, with the end of the onion facing upward.
2. Cut ½ an inch from the root end downward to make 4 evenly spaced cuts. Then make three additional cuts in each section. You should yield 16 cuts in the onion. This recipe includes a video that demonstrates exactly how the onion should be cut.
- 3. Turn over the onion and open out the “petals”
- 4. Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl, mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 5. Prepare the dipping sauce by stirring milk and eggs in a bowl until well combined.
- 6. Dredge onion completely in flour mixture. Use a spoon to fill hard to reach areas.
- 7. Next dip onion into the dipping batter. Ensure that the onion is fully coated.
- 8. Repeat onion to the flour mixture and cover completely. Then wrap the onion in a foil wrap and store in the freeze for 45 minutes.
- 9. Grease air fryer basket with cooking oil or air fryer parchment paper. Remove frozen onion, unwrap and spray it with cooking oil. Cover areas that have white flour, remove any excess wet batter drippings from the onion.
- 10. Place onion in the air fryer basket, cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- 11. Return to air fryer and spray any white area with cooking oil; cook for an additional 10 – 15 minutes or until onion is crisp.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 219 kalTotal Fat: 7ggCarbohydrates: 28ggProtein: 8gg