The best holiday treat or a gift for a lover on Valentine’s day is this cherry kiss cookie. It has a flavorful fruity and sweet taste topped with Hershey’s chocolate kisses. It has a chewy texture that melts away in the mouth. You and your friends can’t say no to these goodies.
What are cherry kiss cookies?
These are small shortcake cookies made with butter, sugar, maraschino cherries, red food coloring, flavorings, and chocolate. Before they start to bake, they are rolled in sugar crystals to enhance texture, flavor, and physical appearance.
These cookies rely on the addition of red food coloring for an enhanced cherry red color. For this cookie, it doesn’t require chilling time to set before baking them. Did you know that unopened maraschino cherries can last for 2 to 3 years? They are preserved in a sweet brine that enhances their shelf life.
Maraschino cherries are cherries that are heavily preserved and sweetened in Croatia, starting back in the 1800s. They were brined in seawater and liqueur from its juices. In the 19th century, they were introduced to the Americas, and by this time, cookies were already on the market. These cherries were used in restaurants and bars in cocktail drinks and later in food recipes like preparing a ham for Christmas, cakes, and cookies.
When can you serve these cookies?
These cookies are the perfect dessert options that you may serve on any occasion. They look great on a platter on the desserts table. Gift them to someone in treat boxes. Bright red for holiday celebrations like Christmas and Valentine’s day with the touch of Hershey’s kisses added.
What pairs well with them?
These cherry kiss cookies are good with ice-cream or perfect on their own as a snack. Try them with a bottle of pink Moscato or other champagne or a hot cup of chocolate-flavored tea.
How do the main ingredients work?
Butter adds richness and density to the cookies. Butter mixes with flour to enhance gluten development which impacts the texture and shape of the cookies.
Almond extract adds a touch of flavor to the cookies. A little goes a far way because it is very potent.
Red food coloring enhance the color of the cookies mixed with cherry juice and chopped cherries.
Powdered sugar offers a smooth texture for the cookie mix. It mixes out better than the granulated sugar.
Cocktail cherries give the cookies a chewy texture and add a great flavor.
How is it done?
The recipe takes about 25 minutes to prepare, so it is pretty simple and easy to follow. Spread 2 tbsp of granulated sugar on a flat plate and set aside. In an electric mixer, you beat the butter until it is smooth and fluffy and gradually add the icing sugar, salt, flour, cherry juice, almond extract, and red food coloring. Remove from the mixer and fold in the chopped cherries. Shape the mixture into 1 inch balls and roll them in the sugar you reserved, then gently press the center to flatten, then lay them on a prepared baking tray and bake for approximately 10 mins. Remove them from the oven when they start to brown at the bottom and press the Hersheys kisses in the center. You allow them to cool and enjoy later.
Why should you make these cookies?
These treats are hands down the best and require inexpensive ingredients. Sometimes we have a sweet tooth, and these cookies would be the perfect treat.
Gluten is the protein found in flour that gives it its elasticity.
Maraschinos are cherries drenched heavily in sugar syrup to preserve them. Each bottle contains preservatives to lengthen its shelflife.
Frequently asked questions
Question Can the Hersheys chocolate be substituted with chocolate chips?
Answer Yes and term a chocolate chip cherry cookie.
Question Can fresh cherries suffice for this recipe?
Answer Sure, fresh is always better but add some extra flavoring like vanilla and cinnamon.
Next Christmas holiday, why not try these treats? They have just the right vibrant color and taste for the holidays. They take 25 mins to prepare and while preparing that ham leg for dinner, save a few cherries for this recipe. What are your thoughts about this recipe?
- 36 Hershey chocolate kisses
- 10 oz cocktail cherries
- 2 tsp of the cocktail cherry juice
- 1/8 tsp red food coloring
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 stick butter at room temperature
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- Put the 2 tbsp granulated sugar on a wide flat plate and set aside.
- Add the butter in an electric mixer with a paddle attachment and beat the butter until it doubles in size and smooth.
- Gradually add the icing sugar a table spoon at a time along with the salt.
- Take the cherris from the bottle and chop them fine. Reserve the juice.
- Add the 2tbsp of cherry juice, the almond extract and the red food colouring.
- Slowly add the flour until evenly incorporated.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the chopped cherries with a spatula..
- Turn on the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Scoop the mixture into 1 inch balls and coat them in the sugar you had reserved at the start.
- Place them on the prepared baking tray and press the middle of the cookies to flatten them a bit.
- Bake for 9-10 mins until they slightly start to brown.
- Remove them from the oven and press them with a Hersheys cookie each to the center.
- Cool completely and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132kcal