There’s nothing more comforting at the end of a chilly day than to dig into a piping hot bowl of chili. This recipe puts a new spin on a classic, with a generous helping cheese adding some extra indulgence and a satisfying creamy flavor. With simple prep and cooked in one pot, this White Chicken Chili recipe can be easily put together any day of the week, for some home comfort cooking whenever you need it most.
What Is White Chili?
When you think of chili, you typically think of beef chili made with tomatoes and kidney beans. White chili is a dish that was introduced in the late 1980s and was originally made as a Southwestern take on the French cassoulet, using white beans and duck. The recipe was then developed over time, eventually using the chicken to become a fresher take on heavy, red meat-based chilis.
What Can I Serve With White Chicken Chili?
Feel free to load on the toppings to your White Chicken Chili, with extra cheese, crunchy tortilla chips, or freshly sliced avocado making excellent additions to the dish. For a more substantial meal, you can always spoon it over a pile of boiled white rice or toast some pita bread to mop up the bowl.
What Other Cheese Can I Use In This Dish?
While this recipe calls for cheddar, your choice of cheese really comes down to preference, as any kind of white semi-hard cheese will work well. Monterey Jack and Gouda are both great options, and you can even use cream cheese for a thicker chili with a smooth and creamy taste. By all means, experiment with your favorites to see which version you like best.
Can I Use A Different Meat In This Dish?
Turkey is always a good substitute for chicken and tends to be lower in both fat and calories if that’s a consideration for you. Alternatively, you can easily make this a meatless dish by omitting the chicken completely. The beans in the recipe pack a protein punch and make it deliciously satisfying and filling even without the meat.
Can I Cook White Chicken Chili In The Slow Cooker?
Absolutely! This is a great recipe to throw in the slow cooker at the start of the day. However, as in the original recipe, you will want to wait until the end to add your cheese. On a high setting, it should be done in 3 hours, or you can set it on low for 5-6 hours.
White Chicken Chili
What more would you need on a cold day than a bowl of this hot white chicken chili seasoned with fresh herbs and spices and notes of yellow cheddar to soothe your appetite.
- 1lb boneless chicken breast
- 24 slices of American cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup small-diced red sweet peppers
- 2 tsp garlic
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/8 tsp salt add more or less to taste
- 1/8 tsp grounded black pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 cup small dice onion
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 (15oz can) cannellini bean
- 11 oz can corn kernel
- 1/3 cup small-diced green sweet peppers
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 4 lime wedges
- Using a 6-quart pot, add the canola oil over medium heat.
- Pour the chicken (diced), oregano, salt, pepper, and cumin in the pot and sautee for about 5 to 8 minutes.
- In another small cooking pot, sweat the onion, bell peppers, and garlic for about 4 minutes.
- Combine the two mixtures in the quart pot and stir in the chicken broth, corn, and beans.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then simmer over medium heat for approximately 15 minutes. Add the cheese until they dissolve.
- Garnish your bowl with lime wedges and chopped cilantro leaves.